Venice masks

Monday 5 February 2024

The legend of Sargon - Anonymous

Sargon, the mighty king, king of Agade, am I.
My mother was a high priestess, my father I knew not. 
The brothers of my father loved the hills.
My city is Azupiranu, which is situated on the banks of the Euphrates.
My mother, the high priestess, conceived me, in secret she bore me.
She set me in a basket of rushes, with bitumen she sealed my lid.
She cast me into the river which rose not over me. 

The river bore me up and carried me to Akki, the drawer of water.
Akki, the drawer of water lifted me out as he dipped his ewers
Akki, the drawer of water, took me as his son and reared me.
Akki, the drawer of water, appointed me as his gardener. 

While I was a gardener, Ishtar granted me her love, 
And for four years I exercised kingship.
The black-headed people I ruled, I governed; 
Mighty mountains with chip-axes of bronze I conquered,
The upper ranges I scaled,
The lower ranges I traversed,
The sea lands three times I circled.
Dilmun my hand captured,

To the great Der I went up,
Kazallu I destroyed.
Whatever king may come up after me,

Let him rule, let him govern the black-headed people;
Let him conquer mighty mountains with chip-axe's of bronze,
Let him scale the upper ranges,
Let him traverse the lower ranges,
Let him circle the sea lands three times!
Dilmun let his hand capture,
Let him go up to the great Der.

Anonymous (c. 2300 BC) Ancient Akkadia (Iraq)
Translated by E. A. Speiser
Source: Ancient Near Eastern texts relating to the Old Testaments, James B. Pritchard, Princeton University Press, 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.