Venice masks

Wednesday 22 November 2023

Songs unsung - Migjeni

Deep within me sleep songs unsung,
Which neither suffering nor joy have yet brought forth,
Which sleep on awaiting a happier day
To burst out and be sung without fear or grief.

Deep within me my songs are dormant...
I am a volcano, lying quiescent,
But when the day comes, they will all burst out,
In a thousand immortal colours spout.

But will the day come for my songs to awaken?
Or will the ages continue their derision?
No! no! Because freedom has begun to bloom
And I feel the warmth of the (allegoric) Sun.

Oh, sleeping songs, my personal relics,
Still to any other heart unknown.
Only I, like a child, with you am content,
I - your cradle, and perhaps your tomb.

Migjeni [Millosh Gjergj Nikolla] (1911 - 1938) Albania
Translated by Robert Elsie
Source: An Elusive Eagle Soars: Anthology of Modern Albanian Poetry edited and translated with an introduction by Robert Elsie, UNESCO Collection of Representative Works, European Series, Forest Books, 1993

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.