Venice masks

Friday 3 November 2023

Love at my door - Anonymous

Love at my door 
Knocked and I gave him bed. 
When sleep saw this 
He took offence and fled. 
‘Give me back sleep; 
Where has he gone?’ I said. 

They said: ‘Our friend 
That kept the sure straight way, 
Who has done this 
To send you so astray, 
To lead you blind 
Into the sand?’ said they. 
The King was in no way averse to listening to the tale of Shahrazad
by Eric Fraser
From the Folio Society edition of 1958


I said: ‘Not I, 
But she must answer make. 
I could but cry: 
My blood, which is hers to take, 
Lies heavily 
Not spilled yet for her sake. 

I chose a girl 
To put my thought in her; 
She is my thought, 
My thought’s her imager; 
Now she is gone 
Fire is my comforter. 

See for yourselves! 
Even Allah like a lover 
From molten threads 
Of the syrup of life wove her; 
Then made all gems 
And fruits with what was over.’ 

But they said: ‘Fool, 
Small joy and, for the rest, 
Torture and tears 
And hugging to the breast 
Shades on a pool. 
The first drink is the best.’ 

‘If I am drunk 
I came not so by drinking, 
It was enough 
To see the ruby winking 
There in the glass— 
Sleep saw it too, I’m thinking. 

It’s not that time 
Has passed, but that so has she, 
It’s not that love 
Won’t last, but that nor will she, 
Not that life’s gone, 
But that she’s gone from me. 

My soul is bound 
By the scents of her body, 
Jasmine and musk 
And rose of her body, 
Amber and nard. 
The scents of her body.’

Anonymous (pre 9th cenury) Iraq (ancient Persia)
Translated by Dr J. C. Mardrus (into French) and Powys Mathers (from the French into English)
Source: The Book of the Thousand Nights and One Night, Volume I, Dorset Press, 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.