Venice masks

Friday 17 November 2023

Shy Request - Csokonai Vitéz Mihály

Mighty love's consuming fire
Has most deeply scorched my soul.
Cooling balm for hot desire,
Gracious tulip, make me whole.

Fire-sparkles are in your eyes,
Your dewy lips are so sweet.
As the clouds escape at sunrise,
Dispel cares of my heart's beat.

Angel, answer to my request
Words that will my longing still.
I will repay as a bequest
Thousand kisses at your will.

Csokonai Vitéz Mihály [Mihály Csokonai] (1773 – 1805) Hungary
Translated by Ina Roberts
Source: BabelMatrix

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.