Venice masks

Friday 24 November 2023

Existence - Fadwa Tuqan

In life, I was a question without home;
      In the enfolding darkness,
      My answer was concealed.
And you were to me the radiance of a new light,
      From the darkness of the unknown,
      Revealed by fate.
The stars rotated around it,
Rotated twice...
Until it came to me,
That unique radiance.
The blackness broke
And in two tremors
I found in my hand
My missing answer.

Oh you, oh you near and far,
Don't remember the fading
Of your spirit in flames.
My universe and yours,
Ours, the two poets;
Despite the great distance,
Existence unites the two.

Fadwa Tuqan (1971 - 2003) Palestine
Translated by Charlie Huntington
Source: 'Despite the great distance, existence unites the two: Translating the poetry of Fadwa Tuqan,' Franklin Huntington, Senior Honors Linguistics Thesis, Swarthmore College, Leeds, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.