Venice masks

Thursday 6 July 2023

When the tom-tom beats - Jacques Roumain

My heart trembles in the shadows
like a face reflected in troubled water.
The old mirage rises from the pit of night.
I know the sorcery of the past:
a river carries so far away from its banks,
carries me towards the land of my ancestors.
Listen to those voices: they sing the sadness of love.
On this mountain hear that tom-tom
panting like the breast of a young black girl.
My sould is a reflection in this whispering water
where the fathers of my fathers beat their dark faces.
Its secret movement takes me in to the darkness.
And the white that made me mulatto
is only a bit of foam cast away,
like spittle, on the dark faces of this river.

Jacques Roumain (1907 - 1944) Haiti
Translated by Committee for the Release of Jacques Roumain

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.