Venice masks

Thursday 27 July 2023

Sonnet XXIV: Do not reproach me, ladies - Louise Labé

Do not reproach me, ladies, if I’ve loved,
if I have felt a thousand torches’ fires,
a thousand ills, a thousand fierce desires,
if my time a time of tears has proved,

as long as you cease to curse my name.
If I’ve failed, the agonies are mine,
so do not those bitter barbs align,
but think that Love, the very same,

without Vulcan’s ardour as excuse,
or beauty like Adonis’ to accuse,
will make you love more violently,

owning, compared to me, less reason,
possessed by fiercer, stranger passion.
And take care you’re not sorrier than me.

Louise Charlin Perrin Labé [La Belle Cordière] ( c. 1524 – 1566) France
Translated by A. S. Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.