Venice masks

Wednesday 28 June 2023

To my country - Jens Immanuel Baggesen

Thou spot of earth, where from the breast of woe 
My eye first rose, and in the purple glow 
Of morning, and the dewy smile of love, 
Mark'd the first gleamings of the power above: 

Where, wondering at its birth, my spirit rose, 
Call'd forth from nothing by his word sublime, 
To run its mighty race of joys and woes, 
The proud coeval of immortal time: 

Thou spot unequal'd! where the thousand lyres 
Of spring first met me on her balmy gale, 
And my rapt fancy heard celestial choirs 
In the wild wood-notes and my mother's tale: 

Where my first trembling accents were address'd
To lisp the dear, the unforgotten name, 
And, clasp'd to mild affection's throbbing breast, 
My spirit caught from her the kindling flame: 

My country! have I found a spot of joy 
Through the wide precincts of the chequer'd earth 
So calm, so sweet, so guiltless of alloy, 
As thou art to his soul, whose best employ 
Is to recal the joys that bless' d his birth? 

Oh! nowhere blooms so bright the summer rose, 
As where youth cropt it from the valley's breast 
Oh! nowhere are the downs so soft as those 
That pillow'd infancy's unbroken rest. 

In vain the partial sun on other vales 
Pours liberal down a more exhaustless ray, 
And vermeil fruits, that blush along their dales, 
Mock the pale products of our scanty day; 

In vain, far distant from the land we love, 
The world's green breast soars higher to the sky; 
Oh! what were heaven itself, if lost above 
Were the dear memory of departed joy? 

Range ocean, melt in amorous forests dim, 
O'er icy peaks with sacred horror bend, 
View life in thousand forms, and hear the hymn 
Of love and joy from thousand hearts ascend, 
And trace each blessing, where round freedom's shrine 
Pure faith and equal laws their shadows twine: 

Yet, wheresoe'er thou roam'st, to lovelier things 
With mingled joy and grief thy spirit springs; 
And all bright Arno's pastoral lays of love 
Yield to the sports, where through the tangling grove 
The mimic falcon chased the little dove. 

Oh! what are Eloisa's bowers of cost, 
Match'd with the bush, where hid in berries white 
Mine arms around my infant love were cross'd? 
What Jura's peak, to that upon whose height 
I strove to grasp the moon, and where the flight 
Of my first thought was in my Maker lost? 

No! here — but here — in this lone paradise, 
Which Frederic, like the peaceful angel, gilds, 
Where my lov'd brethren mix in social ties 
From Norway's rocks to Holstein's golden fields; 

Oh, Denmark! in thy quiet lap reclined, 
The dazzling joys of varied earth forgot, 
I find the peace I strove in vain to find, 
The peace I never found where thou wert not. 

The countless wonders of my devious youth, 
The forms of early love, and early truth, 
Rise on my view, in memory's colours dress'd; 
And each lost angel smiles more lovingly, 
And every star, that cheer'd my early sky, 
Shines fairer in this happy port of rest! 

Jens Immanuel Baggesen (1764 – 1826) Denmark
Translated by William Sidney Walker
Source: Poems, from the Danish selected by Andreas Andersen Feldborg and translated by William Sidney Walker, Thomas Dobson, 1815

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.