Venice masks

Saturday 3 June 2023

(Nobody knows) Why I loved Fascist - Eka Kevanishvili

I beg your pardon, but
All was well in the beginning
He looked like a guardian angel
Of mine

I was wearing a see-through silver dress, singing
He was eyeing me pleased, not interfering
I had a red lipstick on, kissing others
He was watching me with a smile, not interfering,
I was looking him in the eyes, ruining things
He was staring at me calmly, not interfering;
He said it would pass and laughed
He said I shouldn’t worry and hugged me
He said there is no love, watching me closely
He never asked for anything
I undressed myself;
And I stood before him, ready for the gas chamber
The poison filling it gradually, pleasantly,
We moved to his camp – living together the two of us
The camp was secret and restricted
He would bring some food in the evening
I listened to his theories about (allegedly) fascist love
I liked that
All was well in the beginning
I loved him
All was well in the beginning
Until I decided to carve my number on my wrists
The number of his possession
Of my ownership
I did not have a red lipstick on any more
Or a see-through dress
I was his personal blind pet
Unable to cross a street alone
I was standing in the camp in a chosen corner
Waiting for him, waiting for
Guess what?
The fusillade
In fact
Being shot
Is not that painful
I know that now
And also I know:
Bull shit!
There are no personal angels
Let alone, guardian!
Let alone, men!

Eka Kevanishvili (born 1979) Georgia
Translated by Ketevan Kanchashvili
Source: LyrikLine

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.