Venice masks

Sunday 26 February 2023

One thing - Namdev

One thing I of my Lord entreat,
That I may ever serve his feet.

That I in Pandhari abide,
Always his holy saints beside.

Or high or low my birth may be;
Still, Hari, I would worship thee!

Lord of Kamala, Nama prays,
O grant me this through all my days.

Namdev [Nam Dayv, Namdeo, Namadeva, Shri Sant Namdev Maha] (c. 1270 – c. 1350) India
Translated by Nicol MacNicol
Source: Psalms of Maratha saints: one hundred and eight hymns translated from the Marathi by Nicol Macnicol, Association press, 1920
  • Pandhari  - Pandharpur is a well known pilgrimage town, on the banks of Candrabhagā River, near Solapur city in Solapur District, Maharashtra, India.
  • Hari - one of the names of Vishnu
  • Lord of Kamala - Vishnu (he is Kamala's husband)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.