Venice masks

Saturday 17 December 2022

The Crying Game - Tanya Ko Hong

One November morning outside Saratoga Springs
over coffee at the Red Roof Inn you say
We’re leaving for Florida
Vivid snapshots cross my mind
like race cars crashing on a track
No! my voice shakes into a laugh
shocked by my own answer
Hurricane fists and broken glass…
I catch the danger in your eyes

Later: Eleven minutes, we’re leaving
and you slam the bathroom door
I grab your .38
from the nightstand drawer
where it lies next to Gideon’s Bible
nudge the door open
Shaving cream all over your face
like a mug shot of Santa without a hat
In our reflection
I’m pointing the gun
at the back of your head
For a moment
we’re young and silly again…

You think I’m pathetic
I give you a smile, then fire:
No more spaghetti sauce burning my skin
No more black eyes
No more 3 a.m. knife at my throat
No more broken nose after the football game
No more muffled screams

I didn’t plan to shoot you
five times
but the gun only had five bullets

Tanya Ko Hong (20th century) South Korea and USA
Source: La Bloga

Tanya Ko Hong is a bilingual poet and translator. You can find her at tanyakohong.com and on Instagram@tanyakohong. She was born in South Korea and lives in a bicoastal (LA & New York)  in the USA. She has an MFA in poetry from Antioch University. Tanya is the author of four poetry collections, most recently The War Still Within: Poems of the Korean Diaspora (KYSO Flash Press, 2019),

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.