Venice masks

Saturday 24 December 2022

Mma - Tshifhiwa Itai Ratshiungo

You asked me not to make my words beautiful,
yet you told me of gods who ate butterflies gilded
with honey. I could imagine it, the taste of something
so delicate consecrated by those we give libation.
I grasp at my words, but never as effortlessly as the
stories you told. Hardly true, but gave me a mind
of imaginings I would have possibly not known.
And your life, the stories of being too young to live
and too old not to. I envy your tongue. As it slips
with distance, my ears, our age, my life too far away
to listen, I try to make beautiful with my words and
sometimes forget to live. Always at the cusp of glory,
never reaching it because I believe more in your truth.
Nothing is as beautiful.

Tshifhiwa Itai Ratshiungo (born 1999?) South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.