Venice masks

Monday 26 September 2022

On his Friends - Meskin Aldaramy

With conscious pride I view the band 
Of faithful friends that round me stand, 
With pride exult that I alone 
Can join these scatter'd gems in one: 
     For they're a wreath of pearls, and I 
     The silken cord on which they lie. 

'Tis mine their inmost souls to see, 
Unlock'd is every heart to me, 
To me they cling, on me they rest, 
And I've a place in every breast: 
     For they're a wreath of pearls, and I 
     The filken cord on which they lie. 

Meskin Aldaramy (8th century) Iran
Translated by Joseph Dacre Carlyle
Source: Specimens of Arabian poetry, from the earliest time to the extinction of the Khaliphat, with some account of the authors, by Joseph Dacre Carlyle, Lunn, 1796

NB: spelling of original [preserved (silken in stanza 1 and filken in stanza 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.