Venice masks

Friday 30 September 2022

My Mother’s Brain - Avinab Datta-Areng

The shrub billows and glows in heat.
Monkey shadows lead me on to an
Unremembered line in my mind.
Ferns swivel as if they’ve been
Forgiven by you, everything has
Been forgiven by you, even god,
And every word I will ever write to get
To what you don’t want to remember.
For the longest time whenever anyone
Muttered mother I only heard murder.
When I stepped out of the hospital
That day into the light, I was like
A scalpel held against air’s throat.
I had become dangerous,
From then on forever looking
For what they had removed to resurrect you.
What was the truce made, I ask you time,
What truth of her did you take for
You to resume your flow?
Mother of thought lost to eternity,
I look at the fallen peaches;
Bruised, opened, making me
Drunk with their scent.
Overgrown, flourishing with weeds,
The valley seems impatient to help
Me fall toward it. Small birds make
A line at the mouth of the gutter
Rushing with rain water.
Crowds clamor to see the view,
The unbearable beauty of the rest
Of the world renewed each time
By what you will never utter.

Avinab Datta-Areng (21st century) India
Source: Scarriet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.