Venice masks

Monday 27 July 2020

Come back home, Africa! - Awadifo Olga Kili

Come back home, Africa!
Mayibuye, grandma Africa!
Oh my Africa,I cherish the golden old days
Gifted with rays of glory and beauty of traditions
While decked with bronze, gold and ivory.

Africa, the Canaan blessed with honey and milk,
Land of plenty,
A tabernacle for harmony,
And a temple of peace.
Oh Africa, I yearn for those golden years.

A jewel and the succulent breast of mother earth.
Africa my homeland, Africa the cradle of mankind
This verse is my ritual of solidarity.
Come back Africa!
Mayibuye Africa!
Your grandchildren are grieving your silence.
We sing for the return of the shining moon
And the glow of the sun over the land of greatness,
sacred beauty, Africa of Sahara,Africa of Kalahari,
Africa my beauty.

Oh my Africa, I miss the mist quilted hills
And fog hugged valleys,
The golden dew clutched footpath to the cornfields
I cherish the soprano of doves,
the tenor of young monkeys from hilltops,
and the baritone of frogs praising God for rain.

I love you Africa,you’re a Godly monument
Ancient house endowed with fortune and fertility.
Africa, once the land of plenty
Your beautiful souls drink from palm wine calabashes
and bathe in coconut oil.
Dear Africa, I cherish grandma’s granary
belching with grain and life.

Africa,you are the beat of my song
and the rhythm of my dance.
Oh i miss the golden ancient times.
Your fontanelle carries the sacredness of riddles
and holiness of folktales,my Africa.

Mayibuye Africa!
Come back Africa!

Awadifo Olga Kili (born c. 1998) Uganda
Source: African Writers Caravan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.