Venice masks

Sunday 19 July 2020

Because I was brought low - Anonymous

I
Because I was brought low,
And sin had triumphed quite,
Thou God, all good, didst bow,
And seek me in the night.

II
And Thou didst lift me up,
For Thou wert lifted high,
When on the Cross Thou gav’st
Thyself for man to die.

III
Thou Life, Immortal Life!
O, full of sympathy!
Clothed with my flesh Thou cam’st
From Thy felicity.

IV
To burst our mortal bands,
And vanquish in the strife,
And dead, from death arise,
Crowned with immortal life.

V
To Father and to Son,
To Thee, blest Spirit, praise,
Here on the earth, and there
Where live the endless days.

Anonymous (date unknown but before 20th century) Greece
Translated by Rev. John Brownlie
Hymns From The East, being Centos and Suggestions from the Service Books of the Holy Eastern Church by Rev. John Brownlie, Alexander Gardner, 1907 [Christian Classics Ethereal Library]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.