Venice masks

Thursday 22 November 2018

O thou wolf, eager for death - Antar

O thou wolf, eager for death,
I have left thee wallowing in dust, and spoiled of life;
thou wouldst have the run of my flocks,
but I have left thee dyed with blood;
thou wouldst disperse my sheep,
and thou knowest I am a lion that never fears.
This is the way I treat thee, thou dog of the desert.
Hast thou ever before seen battle and wars?

Antar (Antarah ben Shedad el Absi; Antarah ibn Shaddad) (525 - 608) Saudi Arabia
Translated by Terrick Hamilton
Source: The Library of the World’s Best Literature In Thirty Volumes Founded by Charles Dudley Warner, Warner Libraray Co., 1917

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.