Venice masks

Thursday 5 September 2024

Meals for Men - Tamanda Kanjaye

Little Boy,
I know you’ve been fed a toxic meal 
Of toughening up and never caring 
Of taking every single blow
Without ever sharing.

You’ve licked lessons from edges of knives 
On what makes a man strong
And you thought they were filling you up 
When they were starving you all along.

But I can see the bile in your throat 
From having to hold your tears back 
I can see your heart and all the blood 
Seeping from every single crack

You’re gagging on all that poison
And you’re afraid nobody understands 
But please come into my embrace
And heave your afflictions in my hands.

Tamanda Kanjaye (21st century) Malawi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.