Venice masks

Friday, 6 September 2024

Christmas Eve - Deolinda Rodrigues

—7:00 PM
by the latrine.
Yeah, it’s all set up,
I didn’t miss a thing.
Everything’s ready
to get you out of here.
Just have to know
if the pilot’s waiting
and then you run.
If they find you, I’m shot, so
What do I get for running the risk?

Past 7:00 now.
Chains teach you self-delusion;
while you’re waiting on the
arranged signal
dream your dreams:
tomorrow’s Christmas.
Christmas in freedom.
Damn . . . to be with comrades
breathing the air of dignity
to become myself again.

The signal!?
—We going now?

—Not yet . . . later,
first I get me some
over there
in the grass.
They don’t want to?
Shit . . . well, get ready,
They all ready?
Gotta move fast.

Well, I’ll come get you at midnight.

—

The signal!? No.

It’s daytime.
Another night
waiting in vain.
It’s Christmas.
Christmas in prison.

Deolinda Rodrigues [Deolinda Rodrigues Francisco de Almeida, aka Langidila ("Mother of the Revolution")] (1939 - 1967) Angola
Translated by Chris Daniels
Source: Archival: Revolutionary Poetry from Lusophone Africa Selected & Translated by Chris Daniels, Tripwire, no. 17, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.