Venice masks

Tuesday 3 September 2024

Bdin - Ivan Hristov

Dear mother,
I died
but I didn't go to heaven,
instead I arrived in Bdin1.
The postman
frequently passes by
on his rusty "Ukraine" bicycle2,
thus, contrary to all laws,
you will have news
from me.
To tell you the truth,
I haven't gone very far here either,
since I've never been much good with languages.
I have remained a poet.
But being a poet among the mute
is like being a gravedigger
in the Beyond.
(By the way,
I saw the graves of Levski3 and Botev4.)
My contemporaries
have long since become classics,
while I'm left munching sunflower seeds
on the edge of the Canon.
Otherwise, I tend the Tsar's sheep,
and thus earn my daily bread.
I have met two kinds of people.
Some say -
"We'll divert the river here!"
Others say -
"We'll divert the river there!"
My mind was torn,
I sat in the middle.
The water poured
over me.
As before,
I have no companions.

I walk alone on the banks of the river.
I look upstream,
waiting for it to bring
either some chest of drawers,
or some votive candle,
or a nest to build a home in,
or to meet the woman
I love.

Ivan Hristov (born 1978) Bulgaria
Translated by Angela Rodel
  1. The medieval name of the town Vidin
  2. A brand of Russian bicycles
  3. Vasil Levski, the leader of the national liberation movement in the 19th century, was betrayed and hanged; the location of his grave is unknown.
  4. Hristo Botev, a poet and revolutionary, was killed in battle during the national liberation uprising in 1876; the location of his grave is unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.