Venice masks

Monday 18 December 2023

Journey into night - Degutyte Janina

My sister told me, "You are not my brother."
My brother told me, "You are not my brother."
Where can I find a sister - where, a brother.
Who am, to sister and to brother, alien?

High up the Alps, deep-chasmed in the snows,
St.Bernard's chapel hunches, hoar with years.
A cold and lonely toller nods beside the bell
And, sleeping, dreams and angel, lowering, awoke him.

He walks now, searching for me - downhill: through night
And day, through wind and snowdrift, thaws and freezing.
He seems to brush my brow - his good soft hand upon me;
He seems to touch my face - my heart he quickens.

Here below, my heart will sleep. Above, awaken. Its sun obscured.
Its beating stilled, this heart had verged on death.
Through fog - a tale: all, all is a trek through fog. And life itself
Ascends through fog - a journey into night.

Degutyte Janina (1928 - 1990) Lithuania
Translated by Demie Jonaitis

1 comment:

  1. Επειδή θα λείψω απ τό Δίκτυο για λιγο καιρό,
    πέρασα να σου ευχηθώ
    Καλά Χριστούγγενα και καλη χρονιά!!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.