Venice masks

Tuesday 19 December 2023

Indian Ocean Ode - Luís Carlos Patraquim

robber of the wind and the fragile
Indian Ocean lines that spurt
in clear partying / with my blood
I scarf what I can / untameable
geometry of caves in this

sea / Khayyam vintage wine / drop
all the way to spasm in the rim where I insert
my cedilla when the beloved moves to and fro /

for the Pleiades come from within her
with the scream of daybreak
and wet birds sarong her
tuft / salty rhythm of the monsoons

Luís Carlos Patraquim (born 1953) Mozambique
Translated by John Mitras
Source: Luís Carlos Patraquim: Ten Poems, John Mitras, Stained Glass, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.