Venice masks

Monday 23 October 2023

October Sky - Tadeusz Borowski

October was beautiful. As if it were yesterday I remember
the strangely clear, strangely deep sky
shimmering in the noon heat as a leaf shimmers in the wind,
empty and unreachable. I am oddly melancholy
telling you about this, for what do words mean?
I saw the lines of smoke the wind traced on the elusive sky
and I waited for the moment
when this unreachable sky would lean toward them
to absorb them. After that there is nothing but
the poet’s sadness and a subject for a poem.

And once I saw the sky through window panes.
We had just been ordered to open the windows in the blockhouse
and walking by I saw the sky in the glass,
unexpected and wonderful, as if it were
a great camp. Posts stapled with wire,
roads I know so well, were suspended in air
and the grass sparkled in the glass of the window pane
dark green, as from the bottom of a lake. A red flame moved
across the sky and glistened on the grass in a russet stream.
Above this sky, a sky covered with smoke,
another sky hung clear and empty
and the smoke of the first sky drowned in the second.

And I realized that I didn’t know anything for certain,
that the earth and all that happens around me
are only a glass pane for someone else’s eyes.
Then someone blurred the picture and closed the window.
A moment long gone. The earth is real, and now I know
how real human suffering is.
But as a wave to shore, a moment of doubt returns
still, today, it still pierces me,
and always when I look at the December clouds
I see above them the October sky.

Tadeusz Borowski (1922 - 1951) Poland
Translator not stated

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.