Venice masks

Saturday 23 April 2022

This World Open - Mohamed Sehaba

After infinite abandonments this world open.
Nothing but the cold isthmus, nothing but the sea
that abandons everything and embraces only death.
My table is empty. The minutes are not reallocated
to memories, nor to gatherings.
Open is the time that yawns
like the mouth of god,
time relieved of making itself comprehensible.
I huddle in my path
to confound death with impending birth,
I mime flight,
but to tell the truth I twist and turn in my demise.
Nothing holds back.
I mime life,
but to tell the truth I am the statue
that rolls towards useless coastlines.
I touch you, and your shoulders are sand to me.
And this music eats into me
reminding me neither of woman, nor wine, nor wind:
my fear cleared for itself a lonely audience.

Mohamed Sehaba (born 1952) Algeria
Translated by Yolande Schutter
Source: Translations of Mohamed Sehaba, Yolande G. Schutter, Living in Languages, Volume 1, Fall 2021, Article 7, 2021 [Creative Commons Non-Commercial 4.0 International License]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.