Venice masks

Wednesday 20 April 2022

The Old Woman's Message - Kumalau Tawali

Stick these words in your hair
and take them to Polin and Manuai
my sons:
the ripe fruit falls and returns
to the trunk - its mother.
But my sons, forgetful of me,
are like fruit borne by birds.
I see the sons of other women
returning. What is in their minds?
Let them keep the price of their labour
but their eyes are mine.
I have little breath left
to wait for them.
I am returning to childhood.
My stomach goes to my back,
my hands ore like broom sticks,
my legs can fit in the sand crab's hole .
I am dry like a carved image
only my head is God's.
Already I sway like a dry falling leaf
I see with my hands -
Oh tell Polin and Manuoi to hurry
and come to my death feast.

Kumalau Tawali (born 1947) Papua New Guinea
Source: Modern Poetry from Papua New Guinea, Volume I, Edited by Nigel Krauth and Elton Brash, Papua Pocket Poets, 1972

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.