Venice masks

Friday 29 April 2022

Skin lights - Louisa April

The street lights wink at me
their dim glow barely
illuminates my silhouette
my faulty being
my black skindedness
i used to think i was fluidity
i swallowed the sun and her light
would not pierce through these layers
my head now burried in the sand
ashamed of my attire
i couldn’t undress my self anymore
my nakedness reminded me of the
sun on my ancestors' backs
as they picked white balls, pure like snow
their gazes were cuts, constantly staring
i did not know how to not be
the Gods cast me out of their wombs
i was their dirty little secret
a scab, mould, something different
my skin lights don’t glow like theirs
and i’m okay with this.
i made a necklace using the moon
it reminds me of pearly things.
makes my skin pretty

Louisa April (20th century) Botswana
Source: Poetry Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.