Venice masks

Saturday 2 October 2021

The Courtesan Speaks to Her Lover - Kshetrayya

I'm seeing you at last.
It's been four or five months,
Muvva Gopala!

Last night in my dream
you took shape before my eyes.
I got up with a start,
looked for you,
didn't find you.
The top of my sari
was soaked with tears.
I turned to water,
gave in to sorrow.
I asked myself
if you might not
be thinking of me, too.

     I'm seeing you at last,
          the answer to my prayers

Ever since we parted,
there's been no betel for me,
no food,
no fun,
no sleep.
I'm like a lone woman
in a forest
after sunset,
soaked through by the rain
in the heavy dark,
unable to find a way.

     I'm seeing you at last,
          the answer to my prayers

My parents blame me,
my girlfriends mock.
This may sound strange,
but I can tell you:
ever since we first made love,
my world
has become you.
I have no mind
other than yours.

     I'm seeing you at last,
          the answer to my prayers

Kshetrayya (c. 1600–1680) India
Translated by A. K. Ramanujan, Velcheru Narayana Rao, and David Shulman
Source: When God Is a Customer: Telugu courtesan songs by Kṣētrayya and others, Edited and Translated by A. K. Ramanujan, Velcheru Narayana Rao, and David Shulman, University of California Press, 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.