Venice masks

Tuesday 8 June 2021

Eyes so tristful - Diego de Saldaña

Eyes so tristful, eyes so tristful, 
Heart so full of care and cumber, 
I was lapped in rest and slumber. 
Ye have made me wakeful, wistful ! 
In this life of labour endless 
Who shall comfort my distresses? 
Querulous my soul and friendless 
In its sorrow shuns caresses. 
Ye have made me, ye have made me 
Querulous of you, that care not, 
Eyes so tristful, yet I dare not 
Say to what ye have betrayed me. 

Diego de Saldaña (15th century) Spain
Translated by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Source: Hispanic Anthology Poems Translated From The Spanish By English And North American Poets by Thomos Walsh, G.P. Putnams and Sons, 1920

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.