Venice masks

Sunday 29 November 2020

When I hunger to praise Thee - Abraham ibn Ezra

When I hunger to praise Thee, I’m sated;
When to worship I thirst, I am drunk.
Then my heart is secure, when I fear Thee
When in terror and awe I am sunk.
When I bow to Thee low, I am lifted;
When I fall in Thy presence, I rise.
I am free when I serve, for Thy name’s sake,
My oppressors who Thy name despise.
All suffering is sweet to my heart,
When I know that My God Thou art.

Abraham ibn Ezra [Abraham ben Meir Ibn Ezra] (c. 1092 to c. 1167) Spain
Translated by Meyer Waxman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.