Venice masks

Thursday 5 November 2020

Laughing Blue - Adil Latefi

Maybe these words make no sense
Maybe they mean everything

Your embrace was
a flock of doves
eating from my hand
The waves have stripped off their effort
and put mine on

Like how life flows from your eyes
and my eyes lap it up
like how the ghost of poetry came falling down on me
from a window in the sky
your absence was
a thirsty glass
in your absence I was
light
drenched in dew

My sun is happy
when it sips its day from your spirit
Your absence is happy
when it slings a bridge
between the smoke of the poem
and its fire

Where are you
ghost of ink
drowned in the light of exile
or does home
still darken your soul?

Everyone for themselves
and God for everything

This loss has whitened my days
and broken the night
with the milk of freedom
My words, where does the meaning begin,
and where will it end

Letters that say everything
are lethal letters
I am a migrant bird
and love is my wings
if I see the sky tiring
I’ll tell her to rest

One ear is enough for you to hear the sea
one eye lets
your soul soak in the blue
one palm tree can
mix love and peace
in the glass of meaning
for the wind to drink

Let’s escape to love
let’s get out of the picture
let’s dangle our souls from the rope of imagining
let’s wash time, our time, in a smile
if you damage a poem
the wing of a dove will treat it
if poetry is damaged
life will die

Each time a poem escapes
it increases in wonder

Adil Latefi (born 1983) Morocco
Translated by Adham Smart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.