Venice masks

Monday 18 May 2020

To recover - Francisco Luis Bernárdez

If to recover what was recovered
I had to first lose what was lost,
If to obtain the obtainable
I had to bear what was borne,

If to be in love now
It was necessary to have been hurt,
I have well suffered what was suffered,
I have well cried what was cried.

Because after everything I have proved
That one cannot enjoy the enjoyable
Until after having suffered.

Because after everything I have understood
That what the tree has visibly in bloom
Thrives of what is buried beneath.

Francisco Luis Bernárdez (1900 - 1978) Argentina
Translated by Sarah Salazar
Source: The English Centre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.