Venice masks

Wednesday 13 May 2020

That Same Night - Elone N. Ainebyoona

That same night,
He picked me along the way.
He charmed me with his bundles.
He assured me of pleasure each day.
He took me around his castles.
He asked me to stay.

That same night,
I forgot about my pimples.
I only felt gay.
I could only feel my dimples.
I looked forward to his nightly play.

That same night,
His body moved like ripples.
His hands felt softer than clay.
His smooch gave me tickles.
His form warmer than an overlay.

That same night,
He began to sway.
He curved in like a sickle.
He shoved me away.
He chased me like trouble.
He denied me my pay,
He only gave me prickles.

That same night
I couldn’t believe the betray,
I left in hustles.
I rushed for the subway.
I was all left a ramshackle,
I only had to pray.
I dreaded that one night.

Elone Natumanya Ainebyoona (20th century) Uganda
Source: Suubi, The African Writers' Trust, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.