Venice masks

Monday 8 April 2019

Moonlight Sleeps Within your Heart - Jean Lahor

Moonlight sleeps Within your heart,
A gentle light of summer moon
And I 'shall set the cares of life apart
When, in your brightness,' shall I swoon.

Shall I forget the past sorrows
If you, my love, will cradle
My heart and thoughts at last
In the calm That loving arms enable.

Sometimes, you will take my head
And rest it on your lap
And then recite a ballad
That will speak of us, perhaps.

And in your eyes so full of sadness,
In those eyes, I shall discover
So many kisses, such tenderness,
That, no doubt, I shall recover.

Jean Lahor (also Jean Caselli; real name Henri Cazalis) (1840 - 1909) France
Translated by David Paley
Source: Poems Without Frontiers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.