drenched in the sprays
of Tangaloa
you are born
fragile silence falls
gently from the eyes
of the sky
combing the plaited air
with a familiar beat
you are a lullaby
unfolding to babes
hidden secrets of the past
then the sea calls you
to abandon your silky throne
and reach for the sun
chasing the dawn wind
with an echoing swoop
sometimes I see you
sometimes I don’t
sometimes I just watch you
move quietly away
like waves of dying seahorses
today you’ve done it again
out of pride perhaps
or just a heavy day
but who would complain to the mirrored sky
after all, for every night it creates
there is a day
Konai Helu Thaman (born 1946) Tonga
Source: la oscura raíz del grito
from Langakali Poems by Konai Helu Thaman, Fiji Times and Herald, 1983
of Tangaloa
you are born
fragile silence falls
gently from the eyes
of the sky
combing the plaited air
with a familiar beat
you are a lullaby
unfolding to babes
hidden secrets of the past
then the sea calls you
to abandon your silky throne
and reach for the sun
chasing the dawn wind
with an echoing swoop
sometimes I see you
sometimes I don’t
sometimes I just watch you
move quietly away
like waves of dying seahorses
today you’ve done it again
out of pride perhaps
or just a heavy day
but who would complain to the mirrored sky
after all, for every night it creates
there is a day
Konai Helu Thaman (born 1946) Tonga
Source: la oscura raíz del grito
from Langakali Poems by Konai Helu Thaman, Fiji Times and Herald, 1983
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.