It is a sharp, shining
cupid's point I aim
at your heart and draw
the bow. But before
the arrow reaches I fly
to grab it in full flight
before it pierces to draw blood.
This too is a way of loving.
I am its inventor.
Zahrad [Zareh Yaldizciyan] (1924 - 2007) Armenia
Translated by Diana Der Hovanessian
Source: Armenian Poetry Project
cupid's point I aim
at your heart and draw
the bow. But before
the arrow reaches I fly
to grab it in full flight
before it pierces to draw blood.
This too is a way of loving.
I am its inventor.
Zahrad [Zareh Yaldizciyan] (1924 - 2007) Armenia
Translated by Diana Der Hovanessian
Source: Armenian Poetry Project
Hello, Lola Koundakjian here. This is not MY poem, but Zahrad's which was translated from the original Armenian to English by Diana Der Hovanessian. Although you picked it from my blog, the Armenian Poetry Project, the author's name is incorrect! Kindly correct the poet's name. Thanks, Lola
ReplyDeleteThanks Lola - I have corrected it.
DeleteThe verb choices here do all the work: aim, draw, and that 'sharp, shining cupid's point' turning romance into ballistics. Koundakjian commits to the metaphor fully, no hedging. Thanks for the introduction, I had not read her before.
ReplyDelete