Venice masks

Saturday 21 January 2023

Bola - Elis Juliana

In that crystal ball of mine
I see the things in store for me.
The toad is singing in my ears
a song of troubling misery.

I see my neighbor
in a frame disguised
wrapped in a blanket of paper
groping along the wall.
I see a pair of lovers
creeping up the stairs to Town Hall.
The maid-of-honor remains below
peeling fresh water shrimps.
I see a funeral.
Four men with choppers
bearing the corpse of morality
wrapped in palm fronds.
I see the roaches emerge
from SHELL’s rusty pipes.
A broken image handing out
communion to patient ground doves.
And in the distance far away
the sea of dignity has run dry.
We play together blindman’s buff
and pass the shame onto the Lord.

Elis Juliana (1927 - 2013) Curaçao
Translated by Frank A. Williams
Source: Caraïbisch uitzicht (from: Callaloo, Volume 21, Number 3, Summer 1998, Johns Hopkins University Press, pp. 576-577)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.