Venice masks

Friday 4 September 2020

Jobs - Mubarak Ouassat

The platanus tree
That grows suddenly in the middle of the room
Bend on me
Like a beloved
I will care for it in my turn
Because I was once
A gardener...
I remember now my past because astonishment
Grows in front of my patient eyes
Because tonight's mysteries lock my eyelids
On a scream from the trim of a hand
The hand is unknown
I do not care about it so much
I know that I live in a room
Whose wall sometimes bleeds
During the season of tears that travel
From one eye to another....
I have something to tell about the old lady
Who wove shining shirt
From fragment of clouds....
About the pain of lights!
And her sudden heart attacks
And even the sparkles
Which emanate from the nostrils of this dog
Who falls before my eyes:
Because I was also an electrician
And once I lost myself
In blood
And I found myself
A singer
In some taverns
I also worked in a circus
And I could just as Chaplin
Make even the fleas
Domesticate helplessness
Madness
And I extracted astonishing images
Metaphors
From the sleep of tigers

Mubarak Ouassat (20th century) Morocco
Translated by El Habib Louai
Source: Big Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.