Venice masks

Monday 24 February 2020

The Mirror - Floarea Ţuţuianu

This mirror no longer recognizes me
it laughs a laugh that’s not mine

Whenever my thirsty neck feels
the imperious necessity of a rope’s presence
another sunny day happens by
to put an end to the prospect
(each time deferred until some future day
with the smell of wet dog)
On days it drizzles softly
because I’m sadder
I sell myself more dearly
Slender and thinking like a reed
I write (for better or worse) a poem
beyond the age limit

This mirror laughs a laugh
that’s not mine

Floarea Ţuţuianu (20th century) Romania
Translated by Adam J. Sorkin and Irma Giannetti
Source: Diode

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.