Venice masks

Monday 13 May 2019

I must be the last time - Daniel Faria

I must be the last time
The final rain over the last animal in the grass
The corpse where the spider decides the circle.
I must be the last step in the stairs of Jacob
And the last dream in it
I must be to it last pain in the hip.
I must be the beggar at my door
And the house post for sale.
I must be the soil that receives me
And the tree that plants me.
In silence and slowly in the dark
I must be the eve. I must be the salt
Looking backwards.
Or the question at the time to leave.

Daniel Faria (1971-1999) Portugal
Translated by Isaac Pereira
Source: Poets of the World
In A Explicação das Árvores e de Outros Animais

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.