Venice masks

Monday 25 March 2019

Ngak - Val Sengebau

I took my leave from my beloved land
Suffocated with deep emotional turbulence
And not knowing where to land
But my sight was over the horizon
Seeking for intellectual solace
Among strangers in the foreign land ...
I've become a man with split personality
And the two identities have complexity
That cannot find solace and amnesty.
My heart yearns for its birthrights
Where my umbilical cord is rooted deep in the soil
Lulled by its cultural heritage ...

Val (Valentine) Sengebau (1941 - 2000) Palau
Source: Analysis of Meaning,Content and Style: poetry from the Federated States of Micronesia and Palau by Kimberly Kay Au, Pacific Islands Studies Plan B Masters Projects, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.