Venice masks

Wednesday 10 January 2018

I Take My Leave of You - Džore Držić

I do, my love, take leave of you, may God's good grace go with us both;
                I wish that you could only know by sobs and tears and grief,
                                                                                          my love!

I take my leave, but I know not to whom I leave your face so white.
Because you find love's service dear which unto you I rendered once,
      but now I have afflicted you, oh may you e'er fare well, my love!

            I take my leave...
As each day I do wend my way and my dear heart for you does sigh,
     I fear that sleep may never come, sweet solace to these eyes,
                                                                                          my love;

            I take my leave...
No choice have I except to go, and oh, how bitter is my lot;
     of all the woes mine is the worst, if only you could know, my love!

            I take my leave...
I have no hope in this short life of seeing you again, my heart,
     and so this heart I leave with you; oh may you e'er fare well.
                                                                                          my love!

            I take my leave...
If I do falter on my way ne'er again do see this life,
     do never let my heart be free; oh may you e'er fare well,
                                                                                          my love!

            I take my leave...
Oh may my heart not go astray to serve in love some other maid,
     thereby to be from you apart; oh may you e'er fare well,
                                                                                          my love!

            I take my leave...
I gave to you my word so true to serve you and all my livelong days,
     and after death be joined to you; oh may you e'er fare well,
                                                                                          my love!

            I take my leave...
They say: Whoe'er in truth will serve and will to be to his love true
     will never suffer any loss, the man who strives to take such pains.
I do, my love, take leave of you. Oh how can I do so, my love!
     I take my leave, but I know not to whom I leave your face so white.

Džore Držić (1461-1501) Croatia
Translated by Wikisource
Source: Wikisource

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.