Venice masks

Sunday 14 January 2018

Come, Saviour, Jesus, from above - Antoinette Bourignon

Come, Saviour, Jesus, from above,
Assist me with Thy heavenly grace;
Empty my heart of earthly love,
And for Thyself prepare the place.

O let Thy sacred presence fill
And set my longing spirit free,
Which pants to have no other will,
But day and night to feast on Thee.

While in this region here below,
No other good will I pursue;
I’ll bid this world of noise and show,
With all its glittering snares, adieu!

That path with humble speed I’ll seek
In which my Saviour’s footsteps shine,
Nor will I hear, nor will I speak
Of any other love but thine.

Henceforth may no profane delight
Divide this consecrated soul;
Possess it Thou, Who hast the right
As Lord and Master of the whole.

Wealth, honour, pleasure, and what else
This short-enduring world can give,
Tempt as ye will, my soul repels,
To Christ alone resolved to live.

Thee I can love, and Thee alone
With pure delight and inward bliss:
To know Thou tak’st me for Thine own,
O what a happiness is this!

Nothing on earth do I desire
But Thy pure love within my breast;
This, only this, will I require,
And freely give up all the rest.

Antoinette Bourignon (Antoinette Bourignon de la Porte) (1616-1680) France
Translated by John Wesley
Source: Powerful Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.