Venice masks

Tuesday 5 September 2023

The Girls of Llanbadarn - Dafydd ap Gwilym

I bow before this passion;
a plague on the parish girls!
Because, o force of longing,
I've never had one of thern!
No sweet and hoped for maiden,
nor young girl, nor hag, nor wife.
What recoiling, what malice,
what lack makes them not want me?
What harm to a fine-browed girl
to have me in the thick dark wood?
It were no shame for her
to see me in a lair of leaves.
No one’s been so bewitched
save the men of Garwy's nature,
for no day do I fall in love
with fewer than one or two,
yet no nearer to having one
than if she were my foe.
Each Sunday at Llanbadarn
I’ve stood, let others witness,
with my face towards the fine girl
and my back to the pure God.
And after my long staring
over my plumed hat and over the people,
one girl says, piercingly clear,
to the other, who's quick to see it,
‘The pale fellow with the affected look
and his sister's hair on his head,
adulterously he glances,
this crooked locker versed in wickedness.’
‘Do you think he's pretending?’
says the other girl at her side.
‘He'll never get an answer;
let the fool get out to the Devil!’
The bright girl’s curse amazes me,
small payment for one dazed with love;
and it's made me abandon
These ways, these visions of terror.
I'd best become a hermit,
a villain’s occupation.
O strange lesson, through too much looking
over my shoulder, a picture of weakness
I became, this lover of powerful song,
wry headed and companionless.

Dafydd ap Gwilym  (c. 1315/1320 – c. 1350/1370) Wales
Translated by Gwyn Williams
Source: Welsh Poems Sixth Century to 1600, Gwyn Williams, University of California Press, 1974

Llanbadarn these days is a suburb of Aberystwyth , but the church is still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.