Venice masks

Friday 20 December 2019

Sunset - Ivan Theofilov

          Oh how I love the joyful sunset
          that comes like an antique vendor
          of shawls and coral bracelets,
of music, wood carvings and colored dusk!

He arrives as if by miracle, unveiling
his triumph with a spell of magic.
          The earth turns into an oriental beauty
and into pure gold – the darkest tree!

          I smile. And at the same moment I hear:
          – Come, buy from me the most precious thing!
I open my hands and I buy
the world – green, golden and purple.

Ivan Theofilov (born 1931) Bulgaria
Translated by Zdravka Mihaylova
Source: International Poetry in English Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.