Venice masks

Wednesday 3 May 2017

I give you thanks my God - Bernard Binlin Dadié

I give you thanks my God for having created me black
For having made of me
The total of all sorrows,
and set upon my head
the World.
I wear the livery of the Centaur
And I carry the World since the first morning.

White is a colour improvised for an occasion
Black, the colour of all days
And I carry the World since the first night.

I am happy
with the shape of my head
fashioned to carry the World,
satisfied with the shape of my nose,
Which should breathe all the air of the World,
happy
with the form of my legs
prepared to run through all the stages of the World.

I give you thanks my God, for having created me black,
for having made of me
the total of all sorrows.
Thirty-six swords have pierced my heart.
Thirty-six brands have burned my body,
And my blood on all the Calvarys has reddened the snow
And my blood from all the east has reddened nature.
And yet I am
Happy to carry the World,
Content with my short arms,
with my long legs,
with the thickness of my lips.

I give you thanks my God, for having created me black,
White is a colour for an occasion,
Black the colour of all days
And I carry the World since the morning of time.
And my laughter in the night brought forth day over
the World.
I give you thanks my God for having created me black.

Bernard Binlin Dadié (1916 - 2019) Cote d'Ivoire
Translated by Delalorm Sesi Semabia
Source: African Soulja

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for finding us this

    ReplyDelete
  2. where can I find the essay for this poem....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. If you are supposed to be writing your own essay, isn't it cheating to try and find one ready made? Anyway, an analysis of the poem is to be found here: https://www.contemporaryresearchindia.net/Pdf/CRI%20Sept.%202016/21.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the proud of black's

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.