Venice masks

Thursday 9 March 2017

I did not find Masood - Rua Salem

I did not find Masood
Or the shop.
Nor did I find my uncle.
I only found a mixture
Of Indians and Pathans
Living in that place
Living in every corner
That gave me in childhood a sense of security.
How I long to rest my head on my dad’s chest
Like I did when I was a child
Whilst my dad played with my hair
And short locks.
For I was a princess
On the bosom of my dad.
Oh! If only dad could come back
And I could again return a child.

Rua Salem, pen name of Salihah Dhaiban (20th century) United Arab Emirates
Source: Poetry in the UAE

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.