Venice masks

Thursday 16 February 2017

In the bird’s long silence I step into the day - Shrinivási

In the bird’s long silence I step into the day
like palm trees their song rustles every which way
clearing the air of a bloody past that once held sway

On a crimson morning I step into the day
and it fortifies me like the blood of martyrs
that turns to seed and the future of this earth

from now on however
your death looms inseparably
over the day of my birth

Shrinivási (full name Martinus Haridat Lutchman) (1926 - 2019) Suriname
Translated by Scott Rollins
Source: Poetry International

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.