Venice masks

Tuesday 12 April 2016

Postscript - Anne M’Vicar Grant

Jean, fetch that heap of tangled yarn,
And bring those stockings here to darn,
And get from Anne the dairy keys,
That I may go and count my cheese;
To every useful occupation,
Befitting of my place or station,
I’ll henceforth dedicate my time,
And if again I write in rhyme,
’Twill be a shrewd severe lampoon
On country wives who fly to town,
And leave their dairy and relations,
To curl their hair and follow fashions:
Or else an acrimonious satire
On matrons who, in spite of Nature,
With common useful duties quarrel,
To plant in vain the barren laurel.

Anne M’Vicar Grant of Laggan (1755 – 1838) Scotland
Source: A Book of Women’s Verse, edited by J. C. Squire. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1921

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.