Venice masks

Tuesday 10 March 2015

The Violet - Ludvig Holstein

Sweet flower mine! My little bird!
I see you from my lonely shade.
No harm to thee I’d ever do.
’Twould be a sin to sadden you!
And though your beauty I would wear,
To pluck you I would never dare
And rob you of the sunny air,
Beloved flower!

Sweet flower mine! My little bird!
I see you from my lonely shade.
If only I may look at you,
You may despise or frown on me.
I would not ever trouble you!
I long to breathe the self-same air
To share its fragrance and delight
With you, sweet flower!

Ludvig [Detlaf Greve Holstein] (1864-1943) Denmark
Translated by Frederick Delius(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.