Venice masks

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Entreaty - Abdul Ghani Khan

I do not need your red sculpted lips,
Nor hair in loops like a serpent's coils
Nor a nape as graceful as a swan's,
Nor narcissus eyes full of drunkenness,
Nor teeth as perfect as pearls of heaven,
Nor cheeks ruddy and full as pomegranates,
Nor a voice mellifluous as a sarinda,
Nor a figure as elegant as a poplar,
But show me just this one thing, my love,
I seek a heart stained like a poppy flower
Pearls by millions I would gladly cede,
For the sake of tears borne of love and grief.

Abdul Ghani Khan (1914 - 1996) Afghanistan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.